Hunger & Thirst
Mark 7:24-30 – “From there Jesus set out for the vicinity of Tyre. He entered a house there where he didn’t think he would be found, but he couldn’t escape notice. He was barely inside when a woman who had a disturbed daughter heard where he was. She came and knelt at his feet, begging for help. The woman was Greek, Syro-Phoenician by birth. She asked him to cure her daughter.
He said, “Stand in line and take your turn. The children get fed first. If there’s any left over, the dogs get it.” She said, “Of course, Master. But don’t dogs under the table get scraps dropped by the children?” Jesus was impressed. “You’re right! On your way! Your daughter is no longer disturbed. The demonic affliction is gone.” She went home and found her daughter relaxed on the bed, the torment gone for good.”
Mark 7:24-30 MSG
Matt 5:6 – ““You’re blessed when you’ve worked up a good appetite for God. He’s food and drink in the best meal you’ll ever eat.”
Matthew 5:6 MSG
Matt 5:6 – “”Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.”
Matthew 5:6 ESV
The Big idea: The person with a hungry heart will always reach God’s heart.
– The best leaders are not merely Christians, but GOOD Christians.
– We want our hunger and thirst to increase – rather than decrease.
– When we hunger and thirst – others are attracted to join our circle of influence.
THERE IS A BLESSING AND LIFE FOR THOSE WHO HUNGER AND THIRST (ALWAYS STARVING) FOR THE THINGS AND PRESENCE OF GOD.
- People are born with an appetite.
- We all have a void/hole that can only be filled by God.
- Hunger creates action. You will go out of the way to get what you crave.
- Hunger takes on a voice of it’s own (What are you craving?)
- With God – THE MORE YOU EAT, THE MORE YOU WANT.
- THE MORE YOU EXPERIENCE GOD, THE MORE YOU WANT TO EXPERIECE GOD.
- The more you give, the more you want to give (as you see God’s hand movethrough your obediance and faithfulness).
- Zacchaeus climbed a tree
- The woman with the issue of Blood.
- Blind Bartimaeus
- Mark 7:24-30 – Jesus tested the woman. – Others must come first.
- She was Hungry – she was undeterred.
- Jesus was impressed – He responded. The demon has left (past tense).
- When did the demon leave? Maybe when she stepped out in faith.
- She went home and her daughter was in peace.
5 Steps we learn from Mark 7:24-30
1. Stay humble enough to get on your knees before Jesus – receive the promise
– Get into worship – hunger and humility go hand in hand.
– Bring your sacrifice of praise – whether you feel it or not.
2. She stepped out in faith – she believed that Jesus had a solution for her.
3. She believed for greater things in greater days.
– She didn’t settle for less.
Eph 3:20-21 – “God can do anything, you know—far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams! He does it not by pushing us around but by working within us, his Spirit deeply and gently within us. Glory to God in the church! Glory to God in the Messiah, in Jesus! Glory down all the generations! Glory through all millennia! Oh, yes!”
Ephesians 3:20-21 MSG
4. Make your request known to God in prayer.
– What is the JRC “Secret Sauce” – prayer – getting on our knees before God.
– She made her passion and her determination known.
5. Never Give up.
Rom 8:31 – If God is for US (not me/you). We exist in community – who can be against us.