– From Church of the Highlands – (ARC Director)
- Life is lived in small communities.
- The Kingdom (of God) moves at the speed of relationships.
- We are moving people from Rows -to- Circles.
- Spiritual growth happens in a different dimensions of circles of faith.
- 3rd greatest life choice – when you get involved, beyond consumer, at church and get plugged into giving back and living life in community.
Why I love LIFE Groups:
Acts 20:7-12 (NIV)
“On the first day of the week we came together to break bread. Paul spoke to the people and, because he intended to leave the next day, kept on talking until midnight. There were many lamps in the upstairs room where we were meeting. Seated in a window was a young man named Eutychus, who was sinking into a deep sleep as Paul talked on and on. When he was sound asleep, he fell to the ground from the third story and was picked up dead. Paul went down, threw himself on the young man and put his arms around him. “Don’t be alarmed,” he said. “He’s alive!” Then he went upstairs again and broke bread and ate. After talking until daylight, he left. The people took the young man home alive and were greatly comforted.”
Acts 20:7-12 NIV
Acts 20:7-12 (Message).
“We met on Sunday to worship and celebrate the Master’s Supper. Paul addressed the congregation. Our plan was to leave first thing in the morning, but Paul talked on (on and on), way past midnight. We were meeting in a well-lighted upper room. A young man named Eutychus was sitting in an open window. As Paul went on and on, Eutychus fell sound asleep and toppled out the third-story window. When they picked him up, he was dead. Paul went down, stretched himself on him, and hugged him hard. “No more crying,” he said. “There’s life in him yet.” Then Paul got up and served the Master’s Supper. And went on telling stories of the faith until dawn! On that note, they left—Paul going one way, the congregation another, leading the boy off alive, and full of life themselves.”
Acts 20:7-12 MSG
- Don’t dance by yourself – don’t do anything by yourself.
- Value LIFE together.
- Eutychus got the invite to the private party with Paul – He fell asleep in the wrong place.
Problem – He decided to not sit close
- He didn’t sit under Paul.
- He choose to sit by himself.
- He choose to sit by a window – (with the potential to day dream.
- He dropped out of sight.
- He leaned the wrong way (Life Groups help people lean the right way).
- Life Groups (should) help people lean the right way.
Paul’s Example of Community Leadership:
1. Paul stopped what he was doing – He was willing to be inconvenienced.
2. Paul went down to him. – He didn’t wait for him to be brought to him.
3. Paul embraced him. – He did not remain distant.
4. Paul hugged him. – more than a “chin check” – He wasn’t afraid of intimacy.
5. Paul believed for his life. – It’s not about the blame or responsibility – He is still alive.
Paul believed beyond all appearance that there was still life and potential in Eutychus life.
Solution: – Get close.
1. Everybody needs a SQUAD – A place to be loved, known, and appreciated.
Real friends, not social media friends.
– A tight knit community.
– A place/community that overcomes crazy calendars.
– A place that prays for and supports the lives of it’s members.
2. There is LIFE in the group.
– Because you bring it to the group
– The group helps you conquer existence.
– We can learn new behaviors.
3. You CAN LEAD and incredible LIFE GROUP.
– Have a heart for people
– You will learn from others as you grow together.
4. Be a CHAMPION of community.
– Life groups are a safe harbor for people to be healed.
– Make your group a harbor for healing!!!