John 2:1-11 – On the third day there was a wedding in Cana of Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there, and Jesus and his disciples were also invited to the celebration. When the wine ran out, Jesus’ mother said to him, “They don’t have any wine.” Jesus replied, “Woman, what does that have to do with me? My time hasn’t come yet.” His mother told the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.” Nearby were six stone water jars used for the Jewish cleansing ritual, each able to hold about twenty or thirty gallons. Jesus said to the servants, “1) Fill the jars with water,” and they filled them to the brim. Then he told them, “2) Now draw some from them and 3) take it to the headwaiter,” and they did. headwaiter tasted the water that had become wine. He didn’t know where it came from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. The headwaiter called the groom and said, “Everyone serves the good wine first. They bring out the second-rate wine only when the guests are drinking freely. You kept the good wine until now.” This was the first miraculous sign that Jesus did in Cana of Galilee. He revealed his glory, and his disciples believed in him. (John 2:1-11 CEB)
The story of an embarrasing situation.
- Running out of wine would have been a devastating situation. A terrible shame.
- A story about running out.
- Under the surface there was trouble, even though the surface seemed all smiles.
- This is Jesus 1st “sign” – of 7 in the book of John.
- At the end…many other signs took place.
- These took place that you might see Jesus as the Son of God and believe.
- The wedding parties could last for 7 days.
- Jesus was happy to be at a party.
Would your Jesus be happy to be at a party?
- Jesus came that you may have “life” not meetings, more abundantly.
- Jesus wants to live life with us and amongst us, even when He is not the center of attraction.
- Jesus does his 1st sign at a wedding
- Jesus is for weddings.
- The entire bible starts with a marriage and ends with a marriage.
Jesus – addresses his Mother as woman.
- It is a strange way to address his mother.
- What do I have do with you? Why are you invading my world?
- The wedding represents a turning point in Jesus life and ministry.
- Up to this point, Jesus is a perfect son.
- Now that his ministry has started…He is distancing himself from his mother.
- An overlap between his public role, and his previous “dutiful son” role.
Jesus declares his utter freedom from advice, agenda, and manipulation…
- Mary (his mother) responds – “Whatever He says to you-Do IT an encapsulization of the gospel.
Jesus solves the problem by Taking Over:
A) He gives Instructions
B) He is Specific
C) He is (seemingly) Unreasonable
D) He gives nstructions that Require Faith.
We think we know what we want…Jesus speaks outside of our expectations.
- Jesus has a different way…We have to learn his way.
- JESUS HAS TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL.
- That is how we find answers.
In order to take on a new identity – one has to be “Cut Out.”
- Jesus wants to “cut us out” of our old life and expectations, and take us in a new direction.
- It’s about getting into His World, not adapting Christ to our world.
- God’s wants us to come into the place where “He is in Charge.”
- Jesus transforms the disaster that is under the surface…when we give him control.