Steven Furtick : Elevation Church
This was a great message that I watched while previewing video podcasts as potential messages for our men’s life group. I thought I would pass it on for your benefit and blessing…
“I am God —yes, I Am. I haven’t changed. And because I haven’t changed, you, the descendants of Jacob, haven’t been destroyed. You have a long history of ignoring my commands. You haven’t done a thing I’ve told you. Return to me so I can return to you,” says God -of-the-Angel-Armies. “You ask, ‘But how do we return?’ “Begin by being honest. Do honest people rob God? But you rob me day after day. “You ask, ‘How have we robbed you?’ “The tithe and the offering—that’s how! And now you’re under a curse—the whole lot of you—because you’re robbing me. Bring your full tithe to the Temple treasury so there will be ample provisions in my Temple. Test me in this and see if I don’t open up heaven itself to you and pour out blessings beyond your wildest dreams. For my part, I will defend you against marauders, protect your wheat fields and vegetable gardens against plunderers.” The Message of God -of-the-Angel-Armies. “You’ll be voted ‘Happiest Nation.’ You’ll experience what it’s like to be a country of grace.” God -of-the-Angel-Armies says so.” (Malachi 3:6-12 MSG)
Deuteronomy 6:16 “for the Lord your God in your midst is a jealous God—lest the anger of the Lord your God be kindled against you, and he destroy you from off the face of the earth. “You shall not put the Lord your God to the test, as you tested him at Massah.” (Deuteronomy 6:15, 16 ESV)
- Why does God seem to contradict himself after first telling the nation of Israel not to test him.
- Because, In this 1 case God wants to more than prove himself to us…Bring it on…challenge me!!! God is eager…to show himself faithful to you!!!
Different Approaches to Tithing:
- Got to give – So that God can….cover the expenses, evangelize the world. (Guilt to give)
- Give to get – God becomes a robot – blessing becomes a formula. (Celestial Vending)
- Get to give – It is a privilege to give to God. It is a blessing to give back what was given (Obligation -versus- Opportunity.)
The Top Ten Reasons I’m glad I Get to Give to God (Tithe) +
- I get to… Grown in gratitude by documenting God’s blessing.
- I get to... Train myself to obey God’s instructions more immediately and completely.
- I get to… Participate in God’s higher purpose by connecting more deeply to His heart. (Investing draws your personal interest & involvement)
- I get to… Build something much bigger than me, that will last much longer than me. (Don’t you want to say “I am a part of that.”)
- I get to…Break the back of greed and escape the chains of selfishness.
- I get to…Wage war on worry by placing my possessions under God’s protection.
- I get to…order & enjoy what’s left because I’ve give God my first & best.
- I get to…Send a spiritual reminder to myself and my circumstances that my God is more than enough.
- I get to…Spread the gospel to the world & preach the gospel to myself.
- I get to…Open my hands to a God who will not be out given.